Tuesday 19 October 2010

Finishing the Drawings...

After many days in Tump Hide I am almost finished with the drawings. There hasn't been much sun recently when I've been there, so I haven't any new photos of the prisms.

The drawings are in white so that when the sun shines through the prismatic film they will take on the hue of the rainbow.

It is known that feathers of all colours have a biologically significant UV reflectance but that the least likely to fluoresce are black, brown and possibly red. In birds thought to have similar plumage for male/female we now know they are different - the difference shows up in the ultraviolet spectrum - this different colours of the sexes is known as dichromatism.


Because there has not been conclusive research done I have chosen to highlight those that I imagine fluoresce in ultraviolet light, and those whose feathers are iridescent, such as kingfishers.

I have used the species that are commonly found at College Lake amongst them lapwing, plover, red admiral and comma butterflies, and many kinds of dragon and damselflies.












No comments: